Friday, November 14, 2014

DIALOGUE BETWEEN AN EDITOR AND KAAYATHRI

KAAYATHRI : Good morning Miss Kate. I'm really glad to                             meet u.

KATE: Good morning Kaayathri. Its my pleasure.

KAAYATHRI : As an editor, what do you do for your authors                        besides edit? 

KATE : At Kingstone , the editors are the gatekeepers. What this means in practical terms is that wherever possible, we talk to you for the rest of the company and to the rest of the company for you. So for example, if you are missing your author copies or need royalty info or any of a hundred other things, we follow up.

KAAYATHRI : What’s your favorite part of being an editor? 

KATE : The enormous paycheck. Oh, how I crack myself up. No the answer is – great writing and being the first to read it.



KAAYATHRI : Your least favorite? 



KATE: Bad writing.



KAAYATHRI : How important is the synopsis?



KATE : I gotta tell you - a great synopsis is just not that important. The synopsis comes in most handy after the book is bought and the cover copy is being written. It is solely about the book and the quality of the writing. I do understand writers’ anxiety concerning synopses, but in this instance I fear it is a titch misplaced.



KAAYATHRI : How involved are you with getting books to new places, i.e., Bravas to Australia?



KATE: I’ve had meetings with both UK and Australian publishers and not one saw the potential of Brava and the Bad Boys. I continue to try as do our subsidiary rights people. And I thought it was a no-brainer. I think it would be spectacular to have an Australian partner in this.



KAAYATHRI : What about getting the books, specifically the Bravas, to bookclubs like Venus and Doubleday and Rhapsody?



KATE: We submit every book to the book club editors and they make the decision.



KAAYATHRI : Who is responsible for errors and inconsistencies in books? The author, obviously, but the editor too?



KATE :  It would be my responsibility, as well. Without a doubt. Sure, the author wrote it but I am the editor and I should do my homework. If I haven't worked with the author before, meaning if I just inherited a series, I should read the backlist. I would have a lot of explaining to do around here if a big mistake happened on my watch. I really hope this question doesn’t refer to one of my authors and that you are setting me up to resign. I really love my new office. 



KAAYATHRI : What do you like to do in your off time? 



KATE: Sometimes, I just collapse. I hate housework and even though I am not really good at it, when it’s not a school night, I like to cook. I read a lot, for work and for pleasure and I love old movies and some not so old movies. I have a wonderful family and great friends who put up with me.



KAAYATHRI : What authors do you enjoy reading off the job? 



KATE : How much time do you have – Linda Howard, Linda Lael Miller, Julie Garwood, Christina Dodd, Cathy Maxwell, Victoria Alexander, Nora, Jo Beverley, Betina Krahn, Jennifer Crusie, Alexander McCall Smith, Minette Walters, Elizabeth   George and others too numerous to mention. I like narrative non-fiction, biographies and mysteries.



KAAYATHRI : Great. Really thank you for spent a wonderful time me Kate. I Really happy for u Miss Kate.



KATE: Ain't mention Kaayathri. I'm really enjoy this hour with you. I'm glad to meet with you.



KAAYATHRI : Thank you Miss Kate.



No comments:

Post a Comment